Friday, July 29, 2011

While I'm bored - Winterfield Stadium, Charlotte

I'm not entirely sure when Winterfield Stadium -- and I'm not even sure that's the official name, or if it even had a name -- was built, or how I ended up there, but I had these pictures lying around and in my current state boredom decided to do a write-up about them.


The stadium was paired with Winterfield Elementary School -- home of the Bears -- which just so happens to be a rival to my old elementary school, Shamrock Gardens, the Wildcats. Given that basketball is the only interscholastic sport played at the elementary level in Charlotte it's safe to assume this stadium was never used for that purpose and likely operated as a municipal park venue for various local baseball leagues. It's probably through coincidence that the stadium's paint scheme matches Winterfield's school colors.


By 2008 the stadium -- err, venue? -- had definitely seen its better days and was well-and-truly on its last legs. Though I haven't been back since, a look at bing's birds-eye mode shows that the stadium has since been torn down, probably having been deemed a health hazard due to its increasingly derelict nature though the playing field itself remains.


Lots of parks in Charlotte have stadium facilities, for instance Bryant Park and Independence Park are known for their marvelously done stone stadiums, but as far as I know Winterfield Park was the only one this utilitarian in nature, which is probably why I kept the pictures of it, as a local history nerd it kind of intrigues me, even if it was far from spectacular.


Name: Winterfield Stadium
Location: Winterfield Place Charlotte, North Carolina
Tenant(s): n/a
Capacity: ~110
Finished: circa 1970
Demolished: 2010
Pros: Located in a neighborhood (I had to say something good).
Cons: Just about everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment